Saturday, 24 October 2015

The Mystery Show

I love podcasts. I heard about Serial and got addicted. I convinced everyone else I know to listen so I could discuss endlessly. I was kind of annoying for those 2 months.

But podcasts work for me. Our company keeps me pretty busy. If I'm not working then Boss and I are usually talking about it. My office is at home. Employees start arriving at 7am. When we are running a project in a remote area we live with our employees. Its....immersive. I'm always surrounded by people. So while I have a lot of free time, I still feel like I'm constantly begging for some "me" time.

I'm the kind of girl who doesn't mind cleaning as long as it can be done in front of the TV. I can't just watch TV, I have to be folding laundry at the same time. Any other kind of cleaning kind of annoys me. I realised early on that I could plug in and listen to a podcast and still be getting something else done. I kind of love cleaning now! I listen to a podcast and I feel like I'm getting some "me" time. It feels like an achievement.

All this is to say, I was driving home from work with Boss yesterday and I was telling him about my podcast of the moment, The Mystery Show. The host, Starley, solves the most random little mysteries. Nothing major. The one I listened to a few nights ago was the mystery of How Tall is Jake Gyllenhall? It's quirky and funny and you always hear some random little side story along the way. I love that.

I have been trying to figure out what my mystery would be. I can't think of a really good one, but I am on the lookout now! I asked Boss what his mystery would be. He said...the mystery of  my wife's random mood swings. 

Thanks darling!

My favourite podcasts to check out:

Serial (obvs)
Slate Serial Spoiler Specials (particularly like the podcast, doco and audiobook recommendations)
Undisclosed: The State vs. Adnan Sayed
This American Life (download the app, it is SO worth the $3.79)
Invisibilia
Strangers
The Moth
Start Up
The Mystery Show

I am about to try:

No Such Thing As A Fish
Reply All
Found My Fitness
The Joe Rogan Experience
Planet Money

No comments:

Post a Comment